Monday, May 12, 2014

Sunshiny Pop-Up Birthday Wishes

I used to use my Prismacolor pencils all the time, since I was able to shade and blend with them easily.  I feel I have been using markers a lot more since I discover alcohol markers that blend and shade well.  I thought I try using gamsol with my Prismacolor pencils that makes for easy shading.  I thought I try it on this image from my new favorite company, My Favorite Things (MFT).  Yes, I got some new goodies and most of it is from them.  I usually avoid images of people since coloring flesh tones I think can be tricky.  I did go overboard, especially on her face.  I need more practice but just think she got a tan from picking flowers all day.  :-)  Anyway, I like that gamsol makes it easier to create a gradient of colors with just one color pencil.  I need to play around with it some more but I like the way it came out.  Jennifer Mcquire shows how to use gamsol with Prismacolor pencils in this post with video.

I'm participating in the My Favorite Things Weekly Get Sketchy so I used their sketch for this card.  First, I die cut a scalloped oval and stamped the sentiment from MFT Blue Skies Ahead in MFT Hybrid Blue Raspberry ink and the sun from Lawn Fawn Hello Sunshine set in Memento Dandelion ink.  Then I used the Blueprint 14 strip of dots die to cut dots on the blue background cardstock.  I love this little detail that this set of dies offer from the My Favorite Things.  I layered the card base with blue background paper and then the pattern papers from Fancy Pants ParkBench 6x6 paper pad.  After I used MFT black hybrid ink to stamp the girl from MFT I Pick You set to color with my Prismacolor pencils and gamsol, I fussy-cut her out to place on the card with foam adhesive.  This black hybrid ink is my new go-to ink when I'm going to color in an image.  It works great with watercolors, markers and now gamsol and Prismacolor pencils.  No smearing or smudges, Yay!  Yes, I had to test it all out myself.  Kudos to My Favorite Things for coming up with this ultimate ink!  Can you tell I'm enamored with this company?!  :-)
For the inside of the card, I had to add my favorite pop-up birthday insert that I cut out with my Silhouette Cameo.  I removed the cake part to use the sentiment only, and I re-sized it to be landscape.  I actually cut out extra now to have them on-hand, since I use them so much.  It's an extra wow factor to put them in the card.  Everyone who received cards with pop-ups inserts have loved them.


You might also like:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love reading them.