Thursday, February 6, 2014

Another Pop-Up Valentine's Day Card

I love my first pop-up card so much that I had to make another one.  I did make another A2 pop-up card after this one and posted that one first for a challenge.  I finally have time to get to this post.  Anyway, here are my original thoughts.

  I'm not really into giving myself more work by making an envelope to go with it, since my first pop-up card was bigger than an A2 envelope.  AND, I don't have that cool envelope punch board from We R Memory Keepers that everyone is playing around with....(wink, wink to my husband).  ;-) Maybe that will be next year's goal, to make matching envelopes.  Anyway, I had changed the measurements to fit an A2 size envelope in this post but no worries, I posted the same directions below.  If you know me, I am a big fan of modifying things to suit my needs.  So, it was no different here.  Besides that, it was good to do some math.  Yes, you are talking to a girl who missed math when there was no more math to take in high school.  My days did not feel complete was what I found myself telling someone.  Hey, don't judge, everybody got their loves.  One of mine was math.  :-)
First, score a 7 1/2"x9" cardstock at 2 1/8", 4 1/4", 6 3/8" and 8 1/2" on the 9" side of the cardstock.  Then cut off 2" of the scored cardstock to get a final size of 5 1/2"x 9".  Take the 5 1/2"x 9" scored cardstock and scored on the 5 1/2" side at 2 3/8".  Then cut each scored line that makes the smaller boxes up to the 2 3/8" scored line to make the short flaps.  For the 1/2" rectangle, it can be removed and cut at a slight angle on the bottom longer rectangle where it meets the 2 3/8" score line.  Your finished cuts should look like the template below where the solid lines(on the top) are the cut lines and the dashed lines are score lines.
 I cut a strip of pattern paper and a strip of white cardstock  with the measurements of 1 7/8"x 5 1/4".  Then I used the same pattern paper to create 6 rectangles with the measurements of 2 1/8"x1 7/8" to place on the top flaps of both inside and outside the box.  Then I choose another pattern paper to create 1 7/8" x 2 7/8" rectangles that I will be placing on the bottom of the outside of the box.
The image above shows the inside of the box with the pattern paper and the two slot strips.

Take the 2" strip cut previously from the cardbase and starting from the 1/2" rectangle scored side, cut at 3 1/8".  Take this small strip and cut at 1" on the short side of the strip.  You should end up with two 1" identical scored strips.  They will be strips you place inside the box for the slots.  Place adhesive on the 1/2" tab to form the box and then on the tabs of small strips to place just under the score line of the flap.  After the strips are placed inside the box, it should look like the box has been broken up into thirds in the inside.  


I punch out a red heart and stamped the sentiment.  Then I stamped the birds and cupcake, and color them with Distress markers before I cut them out.  For the cupcake, I added some 3D Crystal Lacquer on the cherry and used my red glaze pen for the hearts.  All stamps are from Studio G, not bad for a dollar?!  I then cut out a bunch of hearts from the pattern paper that I got from the dollar bin.  I mounted them on pink cardstock first before I cut them out so that they are thicker and easier to work with.  I used foam adhesives for the two back sentiments and birds and glue for everything else on the box. 



Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Blog


You might also like:

2 comments:

  1. This is such an awesome project! I love the candy hearts and the beautiful sentiment! Great design! Thanks so much for joining us at the Simon Says Wednesday Challenge Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is what I expected.. I found some Valentine pop-up card on http://popupcard.net. Maybe one day you will need, just bookmark it.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading them.