Monday, January 20, 2014

Butterflies Birthday Card

I started to dive back into the paper crafting world last year after a 9 year sabbatical.  It has been exciting to see all the new products and the large array of companies out there, including my favorite ones still in business.  Well, since I started paper crafting 22 years ago, there has been spurts of visits to stamp stores.  I remember looking up local stamp stores when I visit a city for work or vacation, and of course, I had to help the local economy.  ;-)  No one can ever say that I am not doing my part.  LOL!  Anyway, over the holidays, I noticed people using embossing paste on their cards and loved the way it looks.  In other words, I want it!  :-)  One night as I was crafting, I found myself thinking about embossing paste and a vague memory came up of purchasing it.  Lo and behold, I found a brand new jar of Dreamweaver embossing paste in one of my drawers.  From where, I haven't the faintest idea.  I know, I got problems.  :-)  Anyway, it was not dry or crusty at all after so many years; probably 12+ years old!  Wow! 
I couldn't wait to use the embossing paste, but after I creating this stencil below, it was a no-brainer to use it.  Yes, I actually created the hearts and the design on this stencil all by myself.  I know it is just some hearts, but I was fascinated by what you can do in Silhouette Studio.  I feel like a kid again saying, "Look at what I can do".  :-)  Anyway, I used a thin plastic folder to cut my design on.  My very first stencil!  Yay!  I have to say it again.  Love my Silhouette Cameo!  If you want to create your own stencil, click here to download the studio file at my other site.
To put the card together, I used the sketch from Freshly Made Sketches.  I'm loving these sketches!  
I stamped and embossed the sentiment from Hero Arts in Brilliance black ink and clear embossing powder on the pattern paper from My Mind's Eye Miss Caroline 6x6 paper pad.  After I adhered the pattern paper to the card base, I adhered the blue cardstock from Fancy Pants to the card at an angle.  Then I created the embossed hearts on white cardstock by spreading Dreamweaver embossing paste on my stencil.  It's hard to see from the photo since it is so subtle, but neat nonetheless.  Love it!
  
I placed the embossed card at an angle on top of the blue cardstock before placing a strip of dark pink cardstock with ribbon tail that I stamped with Hero Arts Dots cling stamp, on top.  I ran pattern paper with a Stampin' Up Beautiful Wings embossilit die through my Fiskars Fuse to create some butterfly die cuts.  I placed them on the card and finished them off with some bling.  

Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Blog



You might also like:

2 comments:

  1. How funny! I'm sure I have some supplies that I have forgotten about too on my stamping shelves. I love the subtle look the stenciled hearts add. Pretty card! Thanks for joining us at Freshly Made Sketches this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous card! Such a wonderful design! Love the pretty colors and butterflies!

    Thank you very much for joining us this week at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Blog!

    hugs...
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading them.