Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Advent Calendar

I love Advent Calendars!  We always get one or two for the boys.  I've always wanted to make one, but never get a chance to do it.  So when I saw this 3D Countdown Box, I had to get it.  Plus everything is 50% off at their online store until December 8th.  OMG, I'm having a field day shopping for all the "craftabilities"!  Back to my box, it was a lot of cutting for my Cameo but it definitely rose up to the challenge.  I actually had my son assemble the boxes.  He was absolutely thrilled to be doing this.  Every single box he assembled, he held it up with a smile and enormous pride.  Before we even cut, we watched the video on how to assemble it.  It was a tremendous help, and it got my son really excited to make the calendar.

After I downloaded the file from Silhouette Online Store, I enlarged everything a little to fit a 12x12 paper.  I cut the frame and a box first.  After assembling the box, I changed the tabs on the box in Silhouette Studio by making them more angled, so that it would be easy to open and close.  When I was gluing the red panel and number on the box, I made sure that it was on the flaps the same way so that I can open the box without removing it from frame, like a flap door.
 
After I assembled the frame and boxes, I felt it needed something more.  I wanted some Christmas scene or icons to decorate the box.  I had this Martha Stewart pattern paper that I thought was the perfect scene to put on top of this Advent Calendar.  After cutting the pattern paper, I drew an arch and cut it out.  I used double sided tape to adhere it to the top of the calendar and added some shine with Lawn Fawn snowflake sequins and Wink of Stella here and there on the snow and stars.  Overall, this is a sturdy and solid, frame and box design.  Which was a nice surprise, since it will be handled quite a bit by little hands.  I love the way it came out and I can't wait to fill it.


Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Blog







2 comments:

  1. So cute! Love the Santa on top. Thanks for playing along in the Anything Goes Challenge over at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Blog this week!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading them.