Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Happy Holidays Card With Mittens

I'm one of those people who like to start their holiday shopping early.  I like to have my ducks in a row.  I'm usually busy with baking in December and I like it that way.  I'm not a big fan of shopping with the crowds.  I know some people enjoy that very much and I understand why from my one experience.  I remember going out on a black Friday and standing in line at 4:30am in the morning outside a store.  It was kind of like being in a club as you are waiting in line where you start to chat with other people, and people get into the spirit of it.  People start sharing the deals that they got already and what they are shopping and for whom.  It was so much fun hearing these little stories.  I like that aspect of black Friday.  Definitely not what you hear about on the news.  It was a great experience that one time I did go out in the middle of the night.  I also remember having dreams that I missed my alarm that morning.  So funny.  :-)  Now most of my shopping is done online.  I actually have a list of packages to expect so I can check them off as they arrive.  I started making a list since I find myself forgetting about them and wondering what did I get.  Yes, I'm one of those people who loves to get mail, especially packages.  It started in college when I would get these huge packages from my family and I would be sooooo excited!  These feelings never died.  Anyway, I am in the full swing of holiday card making and I absolutely love looking at Christmas stamps and pattern paper.  Besides those things, I absolutely adore mittens.  I don't like to wear them as much as gloves but I just love the way they look.  I got this cut file from Bird's Cards site and I cut a bunch of them in red and green cardstock on my Silhouette.  I keep a binder of die cuts so that they are ready to use whenever I like.

I made my card by embossing a white cardstock with a snowflake embossing folder from Darice.  I rounded all the corners on the white card base, the red cardstock and the embossed snowflake cardstock, and adhere them all together.  I stamped the snowflakes from Recollections and Inkadinkado stamp sets on the mittens in Brilliance Ice Blue ink.  Then I stamped a sentiment from Studio Calico/Hero Arts on one of the cuffs in Colorbox scarlet ink before adhering it to the green mitten and I then flocked the cuff of the red mitten after it was adhered on.  I haven't flocked in a while but I just love the texture it creates.  I adhere the red mitten to the cardbase and then using foam adhesive to adhere the green mitten.  I use a white gel pen to draw in white dashed lines around the mittens.  To add shine, I use a Sakura glitter pen on the stars and a Wink of Stella glitter pen on the snowflakes and sentiment.  I have to admit that I am a closet glitter lover.  So, shhhh!   :-) My husband is not a big fan of it and will immediately put back any cards with glitter back into its envelope.  But me, I personally love the shine and the Wink of Stella pen makes everything so pretty and sparkly.  What can I say, I'm a girl.  :-)  I couldn't wait to use it when I got it.  Anyway, I finished my card by adding a twine between the mittens and adding a snowflake gem in the middle of the loop.  Below is the original card that I came up, but I did not like the busy background so I opted for an white embossed background.

      
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Blog 








1 comment:

  1. Lovely! Thanks so much for joining us at CAS-ual Fridays!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading them.